On the school day following an absence, parents must send a note on a full sheet of paper, which includes the following information:
- The student’s name
- Homeroom teacher’s name
- The date(s) of the absence(s)
- The specific reason for the absence
- Parent, guardian, doctor, or governmental agency signature.
Absences will be classified “excused” only if covered by one of the following areas as defined by Georgia Law
- personal illness
- death or serious illness in the immediate family
- student under orders of a Governmental Agency (armed forces exam, court appearance, etc.)
- recognized religious holidays
- conditions rendering school attendance impossible or hazardous to students’ safety or health
- a student whose parent is in military service in the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard, and such parent has been called to duty or is on leave from overseas deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting, shall be granted excused absences up to a maximum of five school days per school year to visit with his or her parent prior to such parent’s deployment or during such parent’s leave.
Consideration for pre-arranged absences should be submitted 5 school days prior to the expected absence(s). To ensure the timeliness of this request, the request should be submitted by the parent to the attendance clerk in the front office. Current and past attendance history (to include tardies and early check-outs), duration of the absence, and other factors will be considered in the decision making process.